|Two blocks finished!|
|I've become good friends with my rotary cutter, ruler and cutting mat.|
|Friends Around the Square.|
I made the two block with a white background. I've decided that I will try to make half the blocks with a solid color, and the other half with a white background. I will then sash the white ones in color, and the colored ones in white, with a finished sashing of 1 and 1/2 inches wide. That will make the sashed blocks 9 inches squared (6 + 1,5 + 1,5 = 9), or 9 and 1/2 inches including seam allowance. So my finished quilt will be 90 inches squared (10 by 10 blocks) or 1,28 meters, which is the perfect size for our bed!
|Friends Around the Square, using Birds and Berries and Chantilly fabric, by Lauren and Jessi Jung.|
|Bonus Block, with Birds and Berries in plum, and a Kaffe Fassett print in pink.|
I'm thinking of hand-quilting, because my machine quilting skills are virtually non-existent, and having it done professionally will easily cost 500 euros. The idea of quilting the whole thing by hand is a bit daunting, so I thought of doing a quilt as you go method. I did some research into that and I don't like the pieced back that gives, so I came up with another plan. I will get the backing fabric and batting and baste that. I will then mark where the finished rows of blocks need to go with a basting thread. When I've joined the first twenty blocks into the first two rows, I will baste the top row into place, and can start quilting on those first ten blocks. Then, when the next 10 blocks have been joined into the third row, I sew that to the second row. This will be the hard part, because I'll have the bulk of the batting plus backing to deal with. I might even have to ask my husband to help maneuver the big mass of quilt while I do this. I can then baste and quilt the second row, and so on and so forth. The downside is I won't be able to square the quilt top, but if I'm perfectly honest, I've never done that anyway. I just slap the sandwich together and don't give too much about a quilt edges that's a bit wobbly and crooked. It's something I admire in other peoples work, but I haven't gotten round to acquiring the skill myself. Anyway, I'm thinking that if I mark out the position of the rows beforehand, that the end result shouldn't be too crooked. I'll post pictures of the process as it unfolds.