maandag 28 maart 2016

The Splendid Sampler™ 13 - Scrappy Star

This one was a challenge: lots of tiny pieces and lots of points to match. I'm very proud of the center of my pinwheel, it came out just perfect (on my second try). I did fiddle a bit with one of the star points, which gives a bit wonkiness, but I can live with that. And I love the colors, which is a bit of bet, because you're just cutting pieces and hoping the end result will look all right.

First try at the pinwheel center, points not quite right.
I made the half-square-triangles for the pinwheel using 2" squares, marking the diagonal and sewing a seam 1/4" on either side of that, so I had two HSTs of each color. So when the first pinwheel came out a bit wonky, rather than unpicking everything I had a second go with the other four HSTs.

Good points!

The back looks good, too, all seam allowances pressed away from the white fabric.




By making my squares 2" instead of the prescribed 1 7/8 " I left some room for trimming, which is perfectly possible on a pinwheel block.

Trimmed to 2 and 1/2".
 I struggled with accuracy all through this block.

Bottom matches perfectly, on top the middle section is too narrow.

So I redid this seam ...

... it looked like a good match ...
... and it turned out I'd made the pink with white polka dots too big, creating the wonkiness on the left... arghh!
Still, I'm quite pleased with the end result!
I'm very glad this wasn't the first block in the Splendid Sampler, or I might have given up straight away, but I do love the look of it. Wouldn't a medallion quilt with this design look lovely?

I saved the corners again.

Like so.

Leaving me with four silly bonus bits (they're too tiny to call them blocks).

1 opmerking:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog. Love all your blocks so far too. I didn't do the first bonus stuff but figure I can go back to them. I am retired but do other things too. It's now my play time in life.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen