zaterdag 27 februari 2016

The Splendid Sampler™ 4 - Happy Happy

I'm still not 100%, but I'm well enough to do some sewing, yay! I tackled the fourth block of The Splendid Sampler™ in the last few days. I learned how to make perfect circles for applique! I just make templates out of cereal box cardboard though. I don't have starch so I just gather around the template and tie off, then give it a good press with dry heat. I don't have an iron with steam function either, but it's on my birthday wish list, plus I'd be afraid of the printing inks spoiling my fabric if I used moisture. Finally I crunch up the cardboard template to take it out. The template is effectively destroyed by doing this, but it's just a piece of cereal box anyway, so that's okay. I did put some white interfacing on all my pieces because I'm appliqueing light pieces to a darker background, and didn't want the background fabric to shine through.

Happy Happy!

Not yet trimmed to size, but room to spare

The block reminds me of a Wassily Kandinsky tree, like the one my son drew.

Our art gallery wall, in our dining area, which doubles as a mudroom (still under construction) and a sewing room (the white box is the left hand corner is my sewing machine).

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten