zondag 7 januari 2018

Quilting is my therapy!

I've been home for almost a month now, and am starting to feel stronger again. And quilting has been (part of) my therapy. Being creative is always healing to me, whether it's quilting or gardening, baking or playing the clarinet. But when I'm stressed or tired I sometimes forget to devote time to these things. In the past few months that wasn't the case. I kept playing clarinet, jogging, and doing those things that usually recharge my batteries, but it didn't seem to work. In the weeks before my colleagues and my family doctor made me see that I desperately needed a rest, these things, which usually give me joy had become just another thing on my to do list. I just kept going, even trying to fit in more clarinet practice, more yoga, more sewing, in a desperate  attempt to recover, to feel better, to find peace. It didn't work. Turns out what I needed what just rest, a break. It's a lesson learned (the hard way). So, after a good rest (in the sofa, no sports, no sewing, no clarinet), I've started sewing again, with the same pleasure it used to give me, to my great relief. After some really simple things (potholders, anyone?), I'm now designing and making a sampler for Easter. I'm having fun picking colours, creating designs and sewing of course: cutting, piecing, doing some appliqué, and starching and ironing! I love the smell of spray starch!

This is what I've done so far:


I designed the 12 inch flower block myself, using the templates from "Happy Flower Quilts" for the central dresden. The three 6 inch pieced blocks are also from "Happy Flower Quilts", although, apart from the "spring sun" they are very traditional blocks. I'll  be getting on with a pieced tulip block I and an appliqué block with bunnies, both designed by me. I'm having so much fun!

1 opmerking:

  1. Your blocks are beautiful. I am so sorry you had been feeling less than your energetic self. And I am glad that you are feeling better now. Sending you lots of hugs, continued good health and lots of creative energy.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen