donderdag 24 januari 2019

Pickle Dish ... Yet Another Project

On the 26th of December I went shopping in Mechelen with my husband, while my parents took the kids to Technopolis.
I was fun to walk through the park together, shop for clothes for him, eat at Le Pain Quotidien and talk a bit without kids interrupting.
In a thrift shop I found a very pretty quilting book by Kaffe Fasset. It's in perfect condition and was only 4 euros, so I bought it, a little treat for me!

I really like the quilt on the cover, so I made two blocks, just to try it out. And I think I feel a complete quilt coming on!


pinks
teal

green
a bit of orange



I decided to go with a broader colour pallet than the quilt in the book. I had already picked colours to possibly make a quilt for my mum with, and I want to use those for this quilt: pink, orange, teal and green.
All my fabrics ... so far...

The background fabric is also a thrift store find, an old duvet cover.
If my mum likes it, this will be hers. But there is a distinct possibility it's too busy and bright for her. She keeps asking for a quilt to cover the tears in her comfy sofa, and I really want to make her one, but agreeing on a design and colour scheme is difficult. She wants something simple and beige. I agree that since it's main function will be to cover the tears, and for people to sit on, it shouldn't be too loud, but beige ... is not my thing... . So we sort of agreed I'd just make a pretty quilt, something I like and might fit the bill. Then we can "audition" it on the couch, and if she doesn't like it, I keep it and make another. I'm not sure this is a good plan. I'm a very slow quilter and she is quite picky, so it may take years before a quilt actually lands on that sofa!

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Oh Sara, that day of leisurely strolling with your husband, eating at Le Pain Quotidian (there are branches here in the US too) and then finding a treasure for just 4 euros sounds like a dream vacation. I love these blocks. So pretty. I am going to look for this book. Hope you are having a happy new year with loads of creativity and time to sew.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. It is a really good book, with lots of nice designs and beautiful pictures. Now I want to visit Portmeirion to see the village where the pictures were taken. The only thing I don't like about it is that the explanations of how to make the quilts include details on the exact fabrics used. That's okay if you want to recreate exactly the same quilt as in the book (do people really ever do that?), but it makes the descriptions unnecessarily cluttered if all you want is to make the blocks in your own fabrics. There are also a few nice and simple designs in there. If my mum doesn't like this one, I already have a plan B :-).

      Verwijderen